When people consider orthodontics for their teeth, the first thing on their mind is typically aesthetics. Everyone wants their teeth straightened to have a better, more attractive smile. It’s not uncommon for our patients to miss the additional health benefits that come with having straight teeth. In fact, a straighter smile can have a real impact on your oral health. Let’s dive in and review some commonly overlooked health benefits that come with orthodontics.
- Easier & More Effective Cleaning. Crooked teeth present a very real problem when it comes to brushing and flossing. It can be difficult to reach all the cracks and crevices in your mouth when your teeth are protruding at odd angles. With straight teeth, you can brush and floss with increased efficiency, decreasing your risk of cavities and gingivitis.
- Eliminates Bad Breath. Plaque buildup in your mouth will cause bad breath over time, but it can be difficult to clean your mouth with crooked teeth. A straight smile allows full access and easy cleanup of plaque, eliminating bad breath.
- Increased Digestive Efficiency. Your teeth represent the first step in the digestive system. They tear and grind food so that your stomach can dissolve it and begin extracting nutrients. When your teeth are crooked, they’re less efficient in their job, and your stomach has to work harder.
- Even Weight Distribution. Whether it’s chewing or talking, crooked teeth can inflict long-term damage on your jaw. Because they aren’t perfectly aligned, your top and bottom teeth will come together crooked as well, which can put a strain on your jaw and the muscles that control it.
- Decreased Risk of Damage. Teeth that protrude at different angles, even slightly, are more at risk for inflicting or suffering injury. If you were to be involved in a sports injury or an automobile accident, the crooked teeth may damage the inside of your mouth. Alternatively, they may get chipped or broken.
- Boosts Confidence. While this is very much an aesthetic approach, a straight smile can boost confidence. According to survey, a whopping 76% of Americans feel that a smile is the #1 important physical trait when it comes to first impressions. It’s no wonder that a straight smile is vital to the confidence and security of so many people.
If you’re looking to begin reaping the benefits listed above, then you’ve come to the right place. Noble Orthodontics offers straightening treatments for all ages and all cases, from Invisalign to traditional metal braces. Contact us today to learn more and schedule your free consultation!